Helpline 1300 845 745

8am to 8pm: 7 days (AEST)

Request a callback

Available Mon-Fri

Any good grief councillor/ psychologist recommendation

Resize text-+=

Home Forums Loss of a loved one Any good grief councillor/ psychologist recommendation

  • Creator
  • #23675
    Paul s

    Just wondering if anyone has any good grief councillors/ psychologists to recommend, so i can start seeing on a regular basis, would really help. I have a mental healthcare plan but cant afford any extra gap payments, so must be bulk billed.

    Kind Regards

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #23700
    VM – believeinyou

    Hey Paul,

    Talking to your GP would be a great start as they can recommend a counsellor or psychologist that is local to your area. Otherwise, there is an online resource you could use to search for services called When you enter your location, it will provide services in your area.
    Mental health practitioners are also very accommodating to people in financial hardship. They can offer a reduced rate if you speak to them about your situation.

    Good on you for identifying that you need regular visits to help you along your journey. It can be tricky navigating services and finding the support you need. But there is help available. Feel free to reply back to this message for any further assistance.

    VM- cookie

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your post. It can be really difficult to reach out for help, so good on you for taking this first step!

    The psychology clinics run by various universities might allow you to see a provisional psychologist for a reduced fee. You can try checking if any universities near you/in your state have clinics that are accepting clients.

    All the best and take care.

    VM – believeinyou

    Hello @Paul_s,

    I hope you have been well and have been able to find a suitable grief counsellor. If you’re still in search Griefline provides a list of Grief counsellors. You can access the list through this link
    They have counsellors in NSW, VIC, QLD, and SA.

    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by VM - believeinyou.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by VM - believeinyou.

    HI Paul,

    You might have found someone suitable by now, but in case, for you or anyone else…

    APS has a registry of psychologists and it can be good to ring and chat to a few of them and see what feels like might be a good fit, and ask about costs and explain that you are not looking for someone who charges a gap –

    Also, depending on where you are located, and if you’d prefer face-to-face or telehealth, the ACGB might offer options –

    Please also review via our Griefline website, if any of our services might continue to assist you.

    All the very best to you!


    You can get free services but they are hard to find. Covid has put more issues with it to.

    I too cannot afford gap payments but when I have had money found counsellor then.

    To get one, I askEd trusted gp who referred me to good psychologist in area who was tiny gap payment.

    This helped albeit for short time.

    Keep going back if first one is not to you liking – it takes sometimes takes a number of different therapist before you get right fit.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Enter your details to stay up to date with our news and programs. You can unsubscribe at any time.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.